The old teacher’s bedroom has been set up as an early class room with period desks and furniture, books, old bell etc. Formal application for a school at Merimbula was made to the Council of Education in October 1869, signed by the Rev. W. Thom, Adam K. Page and Armstrong L. Munn. Parents undertook to pay one third of the cost of a building. Sir William Montague Manning donated the land in Main Street and the school opened in temporary premises on the site in 1870. Classes began in the school room at the western end of the building in October 1875 with 39 students under teacher John Morrison.The pupils spent two years in Grade 1, Grade 2, Grade 3 and 4, giving them 8 years of education. They enjoyed a 2 week holiday at Christmas and 2 weeks mid-winter. Morrison used the Munn Maizena Mill whistle to start classes at 10am.